Breakfast Pancakes with Maple Syrup and Bacon
Makes 10-12 pancakes
Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
For the pancakes:
225g/8 oz plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp butter, melted, plus more for frying and serving
300ml/10 1/4fl oz full-fat milk
For the topping:
12 rashers smoked streaky bacon, grilled until crispy
200ml/7fl oz maple syrup
It shouldn’t work, but it does. Salty, crispy bacon teamed up with sweet maple syrup, on light spongy pancakes. Try this riot of flavours with Redbush tea.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/310F/Gas 2 1/2.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar, caster sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then sift the flour, bicarb and cinnamon together and stir into the mixture.
- Finally, stir in the oats and raisins.
- Spoon tablespoons of the mixture onto greased baking sheets, and bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden-brown round the edges. Remove from the oven to cool on a wire rack before serving.