Easy Vegetarian Sushi Rolls
Makes 6 rolls, 36 pieces
Preparation time: 1 hr+
Cooking time: 20-30 minutes
For the rice:
400ml sushi rice
3 tbsp Japanese rice vinegar
2 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tsp salt
For the filling:
15cm piece cucumber
1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1/2 avocado, peeled and cut into matchsticks
3 sheets nori seaweed wasabi paste or powder, to taste
250ml/9fl oz water
4 tbsp Japanese rice vinegar
a sushi rolling mat clingfilm
Extra wasabi paste
Japanese soy sauce
These small sushi rolls have rice on the outside and ‘nori’ seaweed in the centre, around the filling. Try a green tea with them, which complements perfectly the clean, natural ingredients of this sushi. In Japan, green tea usually comes at the end of the meal.
- For the rice, put the rice in a large bowl and wash thoroughly, changing the water several times, until the water runs clear.
- Drain the rice and place in a large saucepan with 475ml/16fl oz water. Cover and bring to the boil over a high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for about 10-12 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and leave, still covered, for about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small jug or bowl and stir until dissolved.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a large, shallow dish and sprinkle over the dressing.
- Turn the rice over in the dish to coat in the dressing and allow to cool to room temperature before assembling the sushi rolls.
- For the filling, cut the cucumber into quarters lengthways, then cut out the seeds and cut the remainder, lengthways, into 1cm matchsticks. You need at least 6 strips, each with some green skin.
- Just before assembling, pass the nori over a very low gas flame or hotplate, to crisp up. Cut each sheet in half crossways.
- Mix together the water and rice vinegar to assemble; this will let you handle the rice without it getting stuck to your fingers.
- Cover one side of a sushi rolling mat with clingfilm and place it on a dry board, clingfilm side up.
- Place the toasted nori on the board next to the mat. Dip your hands into the water and vinegar mixture, and scoop up a sixth of the rice and make into a log shape. Put the rice in the centre of the nori, and spread it out with your fingers, right to the edge of the nori.
- Turn the whole thing over onto the clingfilm covered mat.
- Arrange the cucumber strips, carrot and avocado batons down the centre of the nori, and dot a little wasabi down the side. Now, using the rolling mat as