Makes 1 x 8 inch cake
Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
115g/4oz butter, at room temperature
100g/3 1/2oz caster sugar
115g/4oz ground almonds
2 eggs, beaten
55g/2 oz polenta
1/2 lemon, zest and juice
1/2 tsp baking powder pinch of salt
2 tbsp toasted almonds, chopped fresh mint sprigs
A different take on a classic cake, this lemon sponge has polenta to give it extra bite. The zingy lemon flavour also works perfectly with the nuttiness of Redbush tea.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/310F/Gas 2 1/2.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the ground almonds until well combined, and then gradually add the eggs, beating well.
- Stir in the polenta, lemon zest and juice, baking powder and salt, and stir well to combine. Tip into a greased and lined 8inch/20cm cake tin, and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown and just set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly in the tin before tipping out onto a wire rack.
- Serve with chopped toasted almonds on top and fresh mint sprigs.