175g/6 oz butter, at room temperature
75g/3 oz caster sugar
200g/7 oz plain flour
25g/1oz soft brown sugar
450g/1lb can (or squeezy bottle) condensed milk
200g/7 oz milk or dark chocolate, broken into pieces
The diet can wait. This rich ‘slab’ of shortbread, caramel and chocolate layers is simply delicious with light fruit and herbal infusions, such as peppermint.
Makes 10-12 slices
Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking time: 35-45 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/310F/Gas 2 1/2, and grease and line a 28x18cm (11x7 inch) baking tin.
2. Put 150g/5 1/2oz of the butter in a mixing bowl along with the caster sugar, and cream together until soft. Stir in the flour, mixing well to combine.
3. Tip into the prepared tin, spreading out evenly with your hand, then bake for 30-35 minutes, or until just beginning to colour at the edges. Remove form the oven and cool in the tin.
4. For the caramel topping, put the remaining butter, brown sugar and condensed milk in a small pan and heat gently, stirring, until it begins to bubble. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring, until the mix thickens, then allow to cool for a minute or two before spreading over the shortbread base. Allow to cool.
5. Finally, melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, or in the microwave, then spread it evenly over the caramel. Leave to chocolate to set, then cut into rectangles.