Poached Peaches with Amaretto Cream
Preparation time: 25-30 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
For the peaches:
570ml/1 pint white wine
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
100g/3 1/2oz golden caster sugar
4 peaches, stalks removed
For the Amaretto cream:
250g/9 oz mascarpone cheese
2 tbsp double cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
3 tbsp Amaretti liquer
4 x fresh mint sprigs to serve
A beautiful combination of soft peaches in vanilla and white wine syrup, with a rich mascarpone and Amaretto cream. Try it with a cup of smoky Redbush tea – delicious with the almond flavour of the Amaretto.
1. For the peaches, heat the wine in a deep pan over a high heat and reduce slightly for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add the vanilla seeds and pod to the pan, then the sugar, and stir to dissolve.
3. Place the peaches into the pan, stalk ends down. Simmer for 6-8 minutes, or until tender, turning half way through to ensure both sides get poached in the liquid.
4. For the cream, beat the mascarpone with the cream and icing sugar in a bowl. Add the Amaretto, stirring in well.
5. To serve, place a peach in a shallow dessert dish with a spoonful of poaching liquid. Spoon some of the Amaretto cream onto the side, and garnish with a sliver of the vanilla pod, and a sprig of fresh mint.